Saturday, May 2, 2009

~Great Woman~

These are pictures of my Grandma Dyann. She was a great woman. Everything didn't always go her way, but she always had a good attitude, for her grandchildren at least. She loved her family, her dogs, fishing, being outdoors, and Springdale Utah/Zions National Park. 5 years ago today she died due to complications from a car accident. A young man of 17 was driving too fast on a curvey road. She was only 62 years old. We all miss her all the time. Grandma and I at Moon Lake.
Grandma Fishing.

Grandma and my mom.

Grandma was the first person in my family I introduced Jeff too. We went up to Sprindale to visit her and they shook hands and chatted for a while. Then she kind of pulled me to the side, put her arm around me and whispered in my ear, "I like him, he is perfect for you." She was right. A little more than 4 months, the end of March, after Jeff and I were married she was in the car accident. I was also in my last year at DSC. I was taking an English class and my last writing assignment was a poem. We could choose what we wrote and there was nothing else on my mind at the time and it was still really hard to write, but this is what came out:

She lies in wonder on her bed.
The hospital is where she lays her head.

Not being awake or aware,
All the little eyes keeping their stare.

Many worry and many cry,
All hoping at least she'll try.

But then there's hope as she blinks her eyes,
That maybe she hears you , and she tries.

You tell her of love, hope and prayers,
Knowing that at least her family cares.

Then she awakes, but the words can't come out,
Her eyes open a little and her lips show a pout.

She fights so hard, it shows in her face,
Moving everything she can except for her brace.

Surgery after Surgery she proves her strength,
She is determined to stay in it for the length.

She's very strong and has a good heart,
One thing is for sure we don't want to part.

For us every little thing counts,
We just want the doctors to remove our doubts.

I want my family to know how much I love them and I know we will see her again one day. She was a great woman and she is finally being taken care of.

(Sorry for the tears, but I know they would have been there anyway, Love you Mom.)

4 people know I love comments.:

Katie Dotson said...

Jennie,
You have more then just your mom in tears. That was so beautiful. I only know a little of what she went through but I also can tell that what she went through helped to be the woman you all love so dearly. and it is such a blessing to know that you will always be afamily and one day be with this great woman again. I lovr you sis! and give your mom a hug for me.

Sally said...

Jennie that was beautiful. Another tearful reader here, That poem is so great. It's great that you have that to remember back on the emotions you were feeling then. I love you!

Mandy and Kalen said...

I hope it doesn't seem like I am joining the crowd here, but really, you made me cry. I can totally understand why you would choose to write a poem about her...I know that you and your family went through a LOT and after having a good talk with your mom once about her, I KNOW that she is an amazing woman! I think that amazing woman thing runs in your family! I love you and your mom! Tell her that ok??? Love you!

Nicole Iorg said...

Thank you Jennie! I think you are a wonderful woman. I love you very much and I know Grandma Dyann loved you very much too.
Cooper Women,
We think very highly of all of you. Thanks for all the love and care you give Jennie and us.
Yes....the tears came Jennie.