Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Updates on my Health

Well I figured I may as well do a quick post about my kidney stone because it consumed about a month of my life.

It started out a few days before Saturday the 17th of January. I was feeling kindof sick and a little crampy..(sorry too much info)...Saturday I was really not feeling well then that night woke up with the worst pain I have had in my life. It can be compaired to childbirth except that it doesn't come in and out, it is constant. I went into the ER that night.

I went misdiagnosed for 4 days. I had an ultrasound, x-ray and finally a CT-scan. On a side note I found out I am allergic to iodine during my CT-scan. They started putting it in for contrast and my arm started hurting and then swelling up. I had a very small amount in me. If they had put the whole thing I could have well, it would have been bad. Needless to say I was very stressed and bawling. So they had the radiologist read my scan right away, I think because I was so sad. He saw immediately that I had a large kidney stone that was stuck.

The urologist that comes to Roosevelt wasn't going to be in for a week so I had to go to Salt Lake to see someone. When I got there he confirmed the kidney stone and said that I had to have Lithotripsy. (They basically break up the kidney stone in to very small peices with sound waves. When they tell you about it they compare it to being punched in the kidney 2000 times, fun huh.) The kicker was I had been taking Ibuprofen 600's 4 times a day as well as another medication, because they didn't know what was wrong with me and because of that I had to wait a whole week before I could have my surgery. I cried again. Jeff was home with me that whole week and took care of me. He really was awesome. And we had meals brought to us through the whole thing too. Everyone was so great.

That next week I was home alone because Jeff had to go back to work, imagine that. So I was home I couldn't do anything because I was sick and with the medication I was taking for pain I couldn't even drive, I was stuck at home. I couldn't even take care of my kids. My awesome mom came every morning to get them. Then on Thursday of that week a miracle happened. The pain was gone. I had about 4 days of nothing. The kidney stone was still there it just found a comfy spot and gave me a break. It is probably due to all the people that kept praying for me, I am so thankful.

The boys stayed at Aunt Mandy and Uncle Kalen's house both times we had to go to Salt Lake for appointments. She even made me an awesome present from my boys.

Monday morning I had my surgery and everything went great. I was a little nervous, but everyone was so nice and it was over so fast. You actually lay on a table that has a rubbery spot in the midsection and that is where they put the water they use to conduct the shock that blasts your kidney stone. They did a really good job because my kidney stone has been coming out mostly as sand. Yeah, awesome. It was rough driving home that day, (I had to stop on the road. I was a bit car sick, if you know what I mean.) Then I got one more day off to rest, thanks again mom. Now I finally feel normal again.

I want to Thank everyone so much for the service that they gave to us. I also want to thank everyone for the well wishes. I know that I am very lucky to have so many people who care. Love you all.

2 people know I love comments.:

Jeff and Jen said...

okay so it wasn't really a quick post :)

Kimber said...

What an ordeal! I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I'm glad you are back in the saddle. I've never had one, but I have heard they are killer!